DOE News
message dated 3/19/99 8:46:11 AM Mountain Standard Time 1.0 NEW STATE PERMIT NONCOMPLIANCE, MAXIMUM DAILY LIMIT EXCEEDED FOR SELENIUM - WELDON SPRING SITE REMEDIAL ACTION, OAK RIDGE OPERATIONS OFFICE On Monday, March 1, 1999, a sample of the site water treatment plant was collected for compliance with National Pollution Discharge Elimination Standards (NPDES) regulations. Turnaround time for evaluation of the sample was 7 days. Due to the current backlog of water to be treated and consistency with site procedures, the batch of water was released beginning March 5, based upon extensive process monitoring which indicated the batch was within limits for analytical parameters being monitored. The selenium concentration was approximately 25 to 30 ug/l based on sample results. However, preliminary results from the full NPDES sample were received on March 8, 1999 and indicated the total selenium result was 55.6, which is above the 50 ug/l daily maximum limit. The duplicate result was 55.2 ug/l. An investigation is underway to determine the cause of the selenium analysis discrepancy and the results of that investigation, including any corrective action will be reported to the State and in the final occurrence report. A letter was faxed and mailed to the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) on Friday, March 12, 1999. Pending the outcome of the investigation, no water batches will be discharged without having the full NPDES off-site laboratory data in hand, or until confidence can be established that process monitoring accurately reflects the effluent concentrations. (ORPS Report # ORO--MK-WSSRAP-1999-0010. Contact: Doug Steffen, Project Director, at 314-441-8086) 2.0 UPDATE Nothing significant to report 3.0 OTHER CALL FOR ASSISTANCE IN TREATING RADIATION ACCIDENT VICTIM - RADIATION EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE CENTER/TRAINING SITE (REAC/TS) The Operations Center Received the following Non-DOE Incident Report: A Peruvian National worker, working in Peru, found a 36.75 Curie Iridium-192 source that had been used in construction of a hydroelectric plant. The worker picked up the source and put it in his pocket where it remained for approximately 6 hours. He and five other individuals were exposed to radiation during this period. Peruvian officials have requested International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) support in treating the radiation accident victim. IAEA has requested two REAC/TS personnel to assist in treating the victim. In response, two medical doctors are en route to Peru for assistance. End of report. >>